Stuco sponsors shoe drive

Stuco sponsors shoe drive

CMHS student council is hosting a shoe drive during the week of April 12-16.

For this service project, they are partnering with Soles4Souls. ​Soles4Souls is an organization that realizes people living in poverty want a better life, but many lack the opportunity.

What they do is turn unwanted shoes into opportunity, by keeping them from going to waste and putting them to good use – providing relief, creating jobs and empowering people to break the cycle of poverty. ​

Since 2006, Soles4Souls has distributed more than 51 million pairs of shoes to 127 countries and all 50 U.S. states! ​Soles4Souls will ​repurpose gently loved shoes CM students donate by keeping them out of landfills and getting them to entrepreneurs in developing countries. If you’re interested in donating here are a few things to keep in mind: All styles, sizes, and types of shoes will be accepted, as long as they have been gently worn.

There will be a collection box in the commons before school during the week of April 12-16. If you donate even one pair of shoes, you will automatically be entered in a drawing for one of five $10 Amazon gift cards. At the end of the shoe drive, one person from each grade and one staff member will be picked as the gift card winners.

Jerilyn Hawkins, student council faculty sponsor, says their goal is 500 pairs of shoes.

Student Council President, Abbi Geiger, says this shoe drive will be a great way to help get rid of the clutter in your closet, while helping someone in need.

Mattie Lively, Student Council Vice President, said, “I feel like the shoe drive is a great way to help our community, and I hope to see a lot of students getting involved!”

As Geiger said, this is a great way to declutter your closet and to get rid of shoes that mayget more use somewhere else. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Mrs. Hawkins