Erzen back at CM

Like several new faculty members, Civic Memorial’s newest administrator, Sandy Erzen, is no stranger to Eagle Nation.

Erzen graduated from CM in 2003. As she was growing up, she wanted
to go into education like Mrs. Fee, her favorite teacher. However, she changed her mind and went into her freshman year in college as a business major.

After working as a gymnastics coach, she rediscovered her passion for working with kids and changed her major, graduating from SIUE with an education degree. Erzen went on to teach at Alton Middle School for eleven years, then at Meadowbrook for one year before rising to dean of students at CM.

In her spare time, she likes to be with her husband and three sons (Miles, Hayden, and Cameron), with her friends, or working out.

As the new dean of students, Erzen’s job is to supervise Trimpe and CM before school and during lunch, as well as control student discipline and evaluate teachers and curriculum. She is a resource for students and staff in need of help and hopes to connect with students and “​offer guidance that leads students to becoming a positive role in society.”

Erzen identifies one of her biggest inspirations to be her dad, as he taught her to never give up. She advises current CM students to try their best and put in the effort academically to be better prepared for college and push themselves to their full potential.