CM makes resolutions

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2019! It’s that time of year again. Resolutions! Do you make resolutions? Well, lots of people do right here at CMHS. But, you might be surprised that some people don’t. We went around the school and asked both students and teachers what they think about the new year. Here is what they have to say.

“I am hopeful for the new year. I want to get better at certain skills such as knitting and playing the piano. I also want to work on being a more kind person,” says sophomore Madison McCabe.

Freshman Brooke Barker says she would like to stop procrastinating. Junior Elliot Dearduff says he wants to do well on the SAT and ACT, as well as find a college he wants to attend. Sophomore Mandy Drew said she wants to learn how to play the clarinet.

Junior Stella Smith wants to work on building stronger relationships with the people that go to her church.

“I think new year’s resolutions are stupid. You should better yourself every day, not just because it’s a new year,” says sophomore Riley Betts. Freshman Samara Helton wants to not let other people get the best of her.

Junior Sydney Stuart says her resolution is to read at least 30 books this year. Freshman Toni Reynolds says she is going to leave 2018 in the past and be hopeful for the future. Freshman Madison Reynolds says her resolution is to become closer to God and love herself more.
Senior Michaela Shirley would like to be more positive and to have a smile on her face more often. Freshman Kaili Stanford says she is going to stop apologizing for things that are not her fault, and Freshman Virginia Shelton says she is going to work on making herself, as well as others, happier.

Junior Maggie White wants to have good grades in her Biology 2 class. Sophomore Trenton Evans wants to get into a more positive mindset for the new year.

Science teacher Heather Wallace says her resolution is to spread kindness throughout the community through random acts of kindness.

Other teachers don’t make resolutions.“No, I don’t make resolutions. However, I have things I want to work on and one of those things is to slow down, to not always be in a rush,” says English teacher Brianne Jakes. History teacher Charles Baldwin says he usually doesn’t write his resolutions out, but he does think of ways he can improve himself and what goals he can achieve.

As you can see, there are many people who make resolutions and those who don’t because they are always trying to make themselves better. Which will you choose? Whichever you choose just remember “You make the world a better place by making yourself a better person.” – Sorrell