Filed under Showcase

New year = new teachers

Megan+Trost
Megan Trost

Megan Trost

Megan Trost

Students will see many new faculty members when they walk through the doors of Civic Memorial High School on Wednesday.

CM graduate Megan Trost, who earned her degree from SIUE, was hired in May as a special education teacher. Trost, a 2014 graduate of CM, said starting her first teaching position in her hometown is very special.

“When I graduated high school, I had the hope of coming back to CM to teach. It is an incredible honor to get the chance to teach in the school I grew up in,” she said. “Bethalto has given me so many opportunities, both in and out of the classroom. I love that I have the opportunity to give back to my students now. I am most encouraged by how the school and district has grown. I’m finding as I have grown and changed since graduating, the school has, too, which is both energizing and exciting!”

Trust replaces Racheal Leckrone, who is the new principal at Bethalto East Primary School.

The special education department also welcomes teachers Kris Mendoza and Joan Dougherty to the school. Laura Unterbrink is now the administrator at the Make Good Choices program.

The English department has three new teachers: Brett Kalker, Caroline Rongey, and Jamie Orban.

Kalker is taking the place of speech teacher Donnell Campbell, who retired. He will teach college-credit speech courses, as well as English 4. He is also serving as the radio club sponsor. Radio, which used to be a class, is now an extracurricular club.

Rongey will serve as the district’s ESL director and teach two English 4 classes. She replaces Melisa Alexander, who accepted an ESL position in Collinsville.

Orban, who has worked as a reading specialist in the district, will teach English 2 and Foundations English 1. She is also the yearbook sponsor. She takes the place of Amanda Koch, who took a position as a before-and-after school program supervisor at the Maryville YMCA.

Orban said she is looking forward to the upcoming school year. “What I am most excited about for the upcoming school year is getting to work and have fun with amazing coworkers and students! It’s going to be an awesome year to be a CM Eagle!”

Students may be familiar with the new mathematics teacher Mona Tedder, who was a student teacher in Brittney Clark’s classroom last year. Tedder replaces Jarrod Klier, who took a position in Mascoutah.

The science department also has a new face with Lucas Meyer, who is replacing retired biology teacher Frank Graser.

Chloe Rudloff is the new part-time art teacher. She replaces Megan Mitchell, who will be teaching in Jerseyville. Rudloff will also serve as a part-time aide.