Filed under Student Life

Drama heads to festival

Civic Memorial thespians explored all aspects of drama—from acting to stage management—at the annual Theatrefest.

TheatreFest is a place where Illinois students interested in drama can explore their options in the field through many workshops and watch performances produced by high school students from all over the state.

Sixteen CM students and their drama coaches, Clarissa Maag, math teacher, and Angie Nielson, family and consumer science teacher, attended. This year’s event was held at Illinois State University from Jan. 11-13.

Students participated in various workshops covering all aspects of theatre from performance to stage management and production. A range of classes from dancing and singing to welding were featured.

Neilson said that TheatreFest offers students a chance to experience all sides of theatre. “TheatreFest is a melting pot of learning different aspects of theatre, experiencing live theatre, and really having an opportunity to explore your creative side, wherever it may take you!” she said.

The festival concluded with an All-State performance that included students from all over Illinois. This year’s production is Big Fish.

Maag said that the event allowed students to come together with peers who share their interests.

“At any given hour during the festival there are approximately 40 different things you can attend or do from creative/learning workshops to plays to musicals,” she said. “There are also social activities on one of the nights that include improv, a sing along, life size board games, and a dance. Students come together and feel a sense of belonging.”

Natalie Gould, a senior who acts in many CM theatre productions, said, “I loved the dialect class, because it was fun, enjoyable, and a really interesting way to learn how other cultures speak.

Senior Anna Scott was excited to “learn new things, take in the experience, and watch the All-State Show.”