Filed under News

German student settling into CM

Imagine for a moment that you are taken from your hometown, across the sea, and left in the middle of an unfamiliar country. Luckily, you know a bit of the language, but everyone around you is a total stranger. Feeling a little lonely? Scared perhaps?

Meet Lea Levermann, an exchange student from Neubrandenburg, Germany, who’s lived this tale. Whisked away after only a week of preparation, she was brought to America. A new school, new classmates, even a new family—but she had no trouble at all fitting in.

Levermann was already voted onto homecoming court as the junior maid. Clearly, CM students have already come to know and love this foreign exchange student. Read on to see just how much—or how little—you know about the new addition to our class of 2019.

Though very far from home, she is quite familiar with a few things around here. “To be honest, I was a bit disappointed because the landscape was just like Germany,” she tells her classmates. Places like McDonalds and Subway can also be found overseas, but many things we eat here aren’t. “I really like Mexican food because I’ve never eaten it before,” she explains, as there is no Taco Bell or the like to be found in Germany.

Naturally, Levermann was a bit apprehensive about moving to a new country.

“I think…[I was most scared of] the language. And that I’d want to go back because I miss my friends, my family too much. And that I’d get really fat… I am still scared,” Levermann admits.

Her English is improving every day thanks to being constantly exposed to the language.

“I like to correct myself… When people correct me they think it’s rude but it really helps me,” says Levermann. “Google translate is bad. Like when someone types English and translates to German it makes no sense. But I say I do pretty good.”

Schoolwork is not a problem, Levermann said.

“I have nothing here that would help me there,” she says of her classes here. “Everything is much harder there. It makes me feel like a genius in class, like, ‘This is so easy!’ The things we do here we had like 2 years ago in Germany.”

Back at home, she has a family of three: herself, her mother, and her twin brother. “My dad died and my mom is like a legal secretary. My brother is in another school… It’s weird because it’s my twin brother and I am close to him, but I will see him this year. We text and we call each other.”

“I really like to be abroad… I like to get to know new countries,” expresses Levermann, “It’s just one year. But I will come back… I could imagine to live here.”