Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Freshmen speak up

We all know that time of year. The weather is hot, it’s better to stay inside with the AC on blast, and it’s the beginning of a new school year! We’ve all been in their shoes hear at CM once in our life, and to see how the class of 2020 likes CM, we decided to ask them a few questions.

All six freshmen were messaged the same following questions:

• How is your school year going so far?
  • What did you expect coming to Civic Memorial?
  • What caught you off guard about high school?
    • Are you involved in any school activities?
  • Do you enjoy all of your teachers?
    • What class(s) do you enjoy the most?
  • What are you most nervous about?
  • So far, is it easier or harder than middle school?
  • Anything else you’d like to add?

Here are their responses:

• Kya Collman
    • My school year is going pretty well so far. I expected my responsibility level to increase and for it to be relatively easy for me to find my classes. What caught me off guard was how easy most of my classes are going to be. I am involved in band. I enjoy all of my teachers and the class I enjoy the most would have to be Foods class. So far, it’s a bit easier than middle school; in middle school they tell you high school is going to be terrible and extremely hard, but I think they are just overreacting a little bit. It’s all about how you view it. There isn’t anything I’d like to add.
  • Jaden Devino
    • My year is going really well so far (I know it’s early, but it’s really fun.) I expected lots of big, grown people, which there definitely are. Something I wasn’t expecting was just how much freedom you have. No one is hovering over your shoulder and making sure everyone is in the same place at once. I am in Choir and will soon join drama club and creative writing club. I like most of my teachers, and my favorite class is Algebra and lunch. Something I’m pretty nervous about is not being reminded about everything. I’d say that high school is a lot more difficult but that’s because in middle school everything is handed to you; you hardly had to put in any work to get good grades and I’m someone who likes challenges, so I’m really looking forward to what the next few years have in store!
  • Breona Sherfy
    • High school is awesome so far! When I was in 8th grade I thought people were going to be judge mental. But now that I’m going to Civic Memorial I realize that I had nothing to be worried about because a lot of people are so nice. What caught me off guard was the hallways they confused me at first but now I get them. I am not involved in any school activities yet but I am hoping to join life savers. I enjoy all my teachers – they are all nice and understanding. The classes I enjoy the most would be math, American heroes, and science. There is nothing that I am really nervous about. So far in my opinion I think high school is easier than middle school. The lockers those are so easy, and the teachers actually repeat themselves and explain stuff to you in class and that’s really helpful.
  • Mathew Moore
    • My school year is going great. I expected that we would get more responsibility. I was surprised about how we can have our phones out before school and at lunch, and how we can chew gum in some classes. I am in Student Council, science club, drama club, and trap shooting. I do enjoy all of my teachers, and the classes I enjoy the most are biology, American Heroes, band, Math, and ITE. The thing I’m most worried about is not doing good in my classes and not passing all of them. So far, high school is a lot easier than middle school because of the responsibility we get. There’s nothing I can think of adding
  • Jessica Hogan
    • So far this year has been great! I love all of my teachers and my schedule is smooth so far. I expected more confusion but it turned out to be a lot smoother and comfortable than I expected. I think the thing that caught me most off guard is the phone policy. Unlike Trimpe, phones aren’t an evil gadget that causes chaos to rein from above. I am involved in Student council, AFK and FCA club, science club, and the 9/11 Project. All of my teachers are so nice and understanding. I know if I have something to talk about I can talk about it with them comfortably. I enjoy all of my classes, but to be honest my two favorite classes would be Drama and surprisingly P.E. I’ve always disliked P.E. but this year with Miss Parish I feel so much more comfortable and she’s so sweet and loving, she’s probably one of my most favorite teachers. What I’m most nervous about is finals. I’m not sure what to expect, it just depends. It’s easier when it comes to somethings and more difficult when its others. I don’t have much more to add. I love all of my teachers and classes so far and hope everyone else does too.
  • Gabby Nichols
    • My school year so far has been pretty good, better than last year. I get a lot of homework, but lately I haven’t had much so that’s good. I had no idea that a high school would have a cafe. I am in Student Council, AFK and FCA Club, Creative Writing Club, Science Club, Marching Eagles and Choir. I wouldn’t say I like all of them, but most of them, I do enjoy. Band, English, and Choir are my favorite classes.  Finals and exams are the top things I’m worried about. I would say it’s a bit easier than middle school.