Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Coffee shop set to open

Civic Memorial will soon have a relaxing coffee shop to call its own. The Corner Café is a new addition to the high school and is set to open on Sept. 13.

Allyson Morrison, a teacher at CM, has been working very hard at the high school to create an opportunity for students in the Secondary Transition Experience Program (STEP) to work in the café for something to put on their resume for college.

The STEP program helps students from high school transition into college or into the work force. The students in this program will be the ones working in the café, along with the help of Joanna Connoyer, a paraprofessional. Morrison said that most of the schools in the Madison County area have a running café in their school.

“I got the idea from a friend who does the work program at Roxana High School, and I thought I just had to do it because it was so amazing,” Morrison said.

Morrison is quick to credit Connoyer with her role in getting the project up and running.

“Mrs. Connoyer has been a huge help and she came up with the design. She is awesome,” Morrison said. They have been working on the café since last October and are still continuing to improve and come up with ideas, such as how to take special orders and possibly make deliveries to classes.

Decorating for the new spot has involved several people at CM, as well as some bargain hunting via the internet.

“The café was brought to you by Craigslist,” Morrison said. She and Connoyer drove to Chesterfield, Missouri one day to pick up furniture that is in the café. Jacob Sitze, a teacher in the computer and technology department at CM, has involved his wood shop classes in the progress of the café. They have made all of the tables, and Sitze is also in the progress of creating a countertop that will be featured in the café.

Every hour, except for fourth hour and passing periods, the Corner Café will be selling coffee, cappuccino, hot chocolate, iced and hot tea, and cookies. It will also sell mugs that the students make, homemade soaps, plants that workers have grown, and science club sodas to the staff.

The students have worked very hard to make the opportunity possible for them, Morrison said.