Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Alton food truck festival delivers

I am Dawson Brown, a CM senior. After high school, I am going to be attending Hickey College to major in culinary arts. Thanks to my love of food, I scored this position as The Eaglet’s first food critic. Food isn’t just about filling your belly, although that is pretty awesome.  It’s about conversation, art, and fun.

This past Saturday, I went to the Alton Sauce Food Truck Festival. I was amazed at how many people turned out this year. This was the 2nd annual year for this event. I arrived shortly after 5:30 pm and was greeted with loud music and 22 food trucks lined up around the fountain. I couldn’t decide which one to try first.

I finally settled on a truck from S &S sandwiches out of Jerseyville. I tried their well-known chicken philly. It had nicely seasoned, golden brown, roasted chicken, sliced red onions, grilled green peppers, and provolone cheese sauce on toasted garlic bread. As luck had it, it started to rain as I was enjoying my first item of the event. I forgot to bring an umbrella, so I took my sandwich and ran to hide next to another food truck that offered a little bit of shelter. Luckily, the flavor of this chicken sandwich was not dampened by the rain. So if you are ever in Jerseyville, look up S & S Sandwich. You will not regret it!

I refused to let the rain stop my culinary adventure, so I made my next stop the Farm Truk from St. Louis. This is a twist on the current farm-to-table trend you see in restaurants.  In this case, it is “farm-to-truck.” They get their food fresh, from the veggies to the meat; everything is local and home grown. I tried a half-sized burger, with onions, cheddar cheese, mixed greens, tomato, bacon, topped with an sunny side up egg on a brioche bun. It was messy, but wonderful, with all the flavors working together.

The last stop for the event (or at least I thought) was The Sweet Divine, an award-winning show stopper offering delicious treats. They were featured on the television show Cupcake Wars and won in season 6, episode 7. I got to meet and talk to owner Jenna Siebert about her cupcakes and truck. I also took a picture with her. From her truck I tried one of her top selling cupcakes— the chocolate chip cookie dough. It was a dark chocolate cupcake with a cookie dough center, topped with vanilla frosting and sprinkled with chocolate chips. This cupcake was love at first bite. By this time, the rain was showing no signs up letting up, and many of the hardcore foodies had left. I also left, but vowed to stay close so I could come back if the rain let up. When there was finally a break in the weather, I headed back, but to my dismay some of the trucks had vanished, along with the crowd.

I did spy one truck that I just had to try:  Go Gyro Go was voted Best Gyro in 2012 by the RiverFront Times. Their truck is amazing—they have these meat warmers where they have the meat standing up,  while they slice off the meat for the gyros. It’s an impressive sight. Of course I had to try one. It was a nice toasted flatbread, with thinly sliced beef and lamb, slivered red onions, sliced tomatoes, chopped parsley, and homemade Tzatziki sauce (it tastes like cucumber with a hint of dill and sour cream), all topped with feta cheese. I am really glad I ran into this truck and they stuck it out through the rain. This gyro was definitely a solid way to end this event.

My experience at the Alton Sauce Truck Food Festival was awesome, and I highly recommend you check it out next year!  Food trucks are mom and pop businesses, and you can get some fantastic munchies that blow chain restaurant food away.  You never know what food truck will become famous!

Eagle students and staff, if you have restaurant that you feel that needs to be explored, please send me information on my school email, and I will check it out. My email is [email protected]

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Alton food truck festival delivers”

1. Mrs. C. on September 2nd, 2016 7:44 pm

Dawson, this is great!!

[Reply]

Dawson Reply:

Thank you!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Alton food truck festival delivers

News

CM now offering college-credit history

• Alton food truck festival delivers

Showcase

CM fall play is a mystery

• Alton food truck festival delivers

News

CM Senior competes for Miss IL Teen USA

• Opinion

Savoring a final season with band

• Alton food truck festival delivers

Showcase

CM band preps for season

• Alton food truck festival delivers

News

When “A” stands for adequate

• Alton food truck festival delivers

Showcase

Students go beyond classroom with blogs

• Alton food truck festival delivers

Showcase

Troeckler stays humble

• Alton food truck festival delivers

Showcase

Farewell to Phyllis

• Alton food truck festival delivers

Opinion

Our opinion: IDs are worthless

Alton food truck festival delivers